Tuesday 6 December 2011

VOR

Avon paperback, fifth printing, April 1970. Cover by Don Crowley.

"FIRST CONTACT! 
The glowing ovoid plummeted earthward, the sky screaming like a metallic banshee as the air boiled away from its sides. 

A supersonic boom broke over the forest. The curious thing glided down; earth fountained away from it like water, and the forest burst into flame! 
Then a thin black line etched a circle on the side of the metal egg; the circle thickened into a door, or airlock; the air was rent by a searing, screaming hiss and suddenly - the strange being soon to be known to all mankind as 
VOR 
emerged...."

3 comments:

Bill Miller said...

I have this same edition but considerably more beat up. Interesting that you have it, I have never seen a copy of this book except for the one I own.

Unknown said...

That's the reason I bought it ;-) I was only familiar with the edition with the modern-looking artwork by Chris Foss. I think this one dates from 1970 but the picture was used on editions as early as 1967.

Bill Miller said...

I looked, and mine is "2nd Avon Printing, 1967". The typography on the cover is a little different too - 'VOR' is in smaller letters.